Friday, March 21, 2014

QOTD


"No spring -- no summer." John Ruskin, 19th century British art critic
No spring indeed! Today I hit the one page where the Keep Calm & Carry On people seem to have channelled the Farmer's Almanac. I doubt Ruskin was alluding to an endless winter like the current one we've been weathering in my part of the world (the East coast of North America), but it makes the quote seem no less apt.

If, as seems more likely, Ruskin was nodding to the beautiful interdependence of seasons, I'm right there applauding, too. I treasure the cycle of changing seasons. Spring is so much more wondrous because it follows winter. Summer would be insufferable (to me!) if it lasted all the year long, but in it's fleeting form, I can enjoy and even cherish it. Though, if this is the point of the quote, it might be better to say "no winter -- no spring."



Quotes-of-the day from the 2014 Keep Calm & Carry On desk calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment