As promised, here are the collected tweets of Margret Mylton of Roanoke. To see what I have to say about month 2 of the Extreme Writing experience, visit Light Up the Cave
tomorrow. And don’t forget to check back here tomorrow to meet your narrator for the month of September!
*It gets no easier to keep the Sabbath. My Spirit yearns but there is 2 much needs doing. Will this Rough Land ever b home?
*Minded young Virginia. It pains me 2 think my own Danyel wld have been Walking by now. I worry for the one I carry. I must b Strong
* Walked on the Sand. Sea so lovely! Sandpipers :) Laughed and cried. Am so foolish when I’m gravid – happysadhappysad!
*Good thing about Drowt? --Wot Herbs did survive it have dried well. In this if nothing else r stores will suffice.
*Properly roasted over coals, Snake tastes more like Chyken than like Eel. Can this b dried as Croatoans do Meat?
*W. Sole is indeed courting Roanoke Maid. Neither village happy. Sole warned 2 b Cautious. We may have 2 leave sooner than planned
*Thot I lost my best Needyl! Praise, twas stuck in my good Cap. Good cap getting less so. Soon we may have to leave off Caps.
*After prayers, read in my commonplace Book. Surprised how much I have learned and writ about Herb Lore these 2 years.
*Weary of crab and Fyshe. Know I shld b Grateful but yearn so for Meat. Dreamed last nite of venison.
*Next deerskin -- if ever -- Joan & I will try 2 make some Mocka-san boots as they do. R boots are nought but Patch
* Manteo brought herb woman 2c Samuel. Poultice new 2 me. Must learn 2 speak their language. I say Magwitch repeatedly; think this is thnx
*Geese in Flyte. Tom & Sole browt some Down w theyr Bows. Manteo much impressed. Now this land 2 will speak of the skill of English Archers!
*Dare 2 rtn with Manteo & be our Scout. He takes with him all our questions & Prayers. Ellenor shews her Sire’s dignity & Blinks not.
*Rain @ last! 2 layt for Growing & not much. Enuf 2 refresh. Stood with Elinor & Agnes behind woodpile in r shifts with Hair down. Ahh!!
*Samuel is failing. Special prayers for him @ Service, but fear tis God’s Will he leave us. We have Lost so many.
*Samuel has Passed. He will be much mourned. My Thomas looks so thin & worn. I reach for him often & Fear to find him Gone.
*Used the last of the Weet Flowr 4 a rising. The starter I have from my Mother's Hearth. My heart breaks. I must find a Way to keep it live.
*So much rendered Goose Grease 2 store but where? Finally a use 4 chamber Pot Gov Whyte left behind with Ellenor!
* Elennor 2 is again w child. We wept 2gether & swore 2 b Mothers & Sisters to 1 another. What would I b without her & Joan & Agnes?
* I wld lief bury my Commonplace Book 4 them 2 find. Thom says foolish; where we r going, I will need what Wisdom it contains
* children must learn their Letters. Idea! will make chapbooks from Byrch. Ash & Grease, 4 ink we have in surfeit! good project 4 Winter
* After Prayers, Thom & I walked on the Sand & unburdened our Hearts. There is a Blessed Peas from this, & Lyteness
* We cannot have enuff Baskets! We Weeve endlessly, fingers Chapt & Bleeding. Agnes most resorsfull but still we wurry we have 2 few Reeds.
* Not kynd to Laff @ those boys, but so funny to see Feathers everywhere! Next time, they’ll know to ask the Women to do it!
* Dare rtnd, Praise Him. So much 2 tell. Agnes most excited – there will be Clay 4 her. Am pleased 4 her gladness; she has suffered so.
* The men are taking down the buildings. Must save all Nayles & hinges. All ironwerk more Precious to us now than Gold.
* Just as it took Root, our small bit of England must be Dug Up again! We women will not leave our Rosemary & Lavender & brier Rose.
*Sole has gone. What he did not Take was left on his pallet with a Note saying Godspeed. Godspeed to him & his Crenepo, if 2 her he went.
*Our last Sabbath on this Spot. We shall build a Tabernacle in the Wilderness. Yet again. Praise Him keep us.
* 2nite we Feast on all we will not Carry. We wear what Best we have, & sing & Dance in joyful Festival. We must meet the future with Joy
*Can w8 no longer. Thomas is carving a message in the tree 4 Govnr White. Croatoan. He will understand. Yrs Margret Mylton