Friday, March 14, 2014

"No one has a right to sit down and feel hopeless. There's too much work to do." Dorothy Day, American activist.

I mostly complain about how poorly the quotes in this calendar fit the Keep Calm and Carry On motif. But I read today's page with a big nod of agreement. I'd never heard this quote before, but the sentiments are very much in keeping with what I tell myself on a bad day. It's not about not feeling hopeless, you understand. I often feel hopeless. Hopeless, angry, frustrated, dismayed. But I hardly ever sit down and fall into it. I tell myself that's a luxury I can't afford. There's far too much that needs to be done. After so many years of fighting, I've learned that I draw strength from action, from taking back even a shred of control and refusing to be beaten down. This isn't hope, but it is endurance. There are many shades of darkness. Action may not lead to light, but it can push back against the worst.




Quotes-of-the day from the 2014 Keep Calm & Carry On desk calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment