Sunday, February 9, 2014

QOTD - blame the victim


"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." Jon Kabat-Zinn, American doctor and mindfulness expert

Typical assumption of the successful, —that if it worked for me, it will work for everyone. What if you can't learn to surf?

No, I'm not being too literal. Let me translate this to my own life. I keep learning to surf, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to stay afloat. Despite talent and lots of hard work to perfect my crafts, I spend years floundering in the waters of acting and writing careers and never managed to catch a wave. Eventually I went back to shore and sought out more tameable waves. I gradually built a career in User Assistance documentation for SaaS technologies. Just when it seemed I was surfing, the waters began to rapidly dry up. I was beached again. Now I'm clinging to my board, learning new strokes as quickly as I can, but the waves keep crashing over me and wiping me out.  There's nothing here to Keep Calm with, only a reminder that life is an endless cycle of Carrying On.

No comments:

Post a Comment