For those who may have missed an entry or two, here are the collected tweets of Adeline Thorne, Oxford Scholar and Titanic Passenger. Addie’s was the final in a series of three stories told as tweets-from-history. This project was a sub-set of my three-month Extreme Writing self-challenge. To see what I have to say about this experience, visit Light Up the Cave
*Caught Roper wearing the most appalling painted stockings. Sets back the cause of women's degrees 20 years!
*More 2 do than hours of the day. What does it say about me as a scholar that I'd rather be reading Zuleika Dobson?
*Slept 5 hrs of last 48, & not sequentially. Living on stewed tea. Hair a greasy mop. Ah, the joy of education!
* Sat my final exam 2day. My FINAL final exam. Not certain of results but still more nerves about America than any exam.
* 2 busy 2 think & just as well. Big trunk packed & taken away, also three boxes of books. Next I see them, we will all be in New York.
* Walking from the High, saying goodbye 2 trees & stone walls. Why does everything ordinary seem so precious when you’re leaving it behind?
*No idea how women dress in New York. Do I need a new hat? Or do I just want that one with the velvet pansies?
*2 cold 2 punt but didn't care! Must whilst I can. Don't think they have punts in America. What do they do at those Universities? :)
*2day, last time typing petitions for WSPU. 2nite will b cocoa party in Maude's room. Final cocoa party. Everything today so final!
*Vi Roper is engaged! 2 the Paper Baronet of all things! We all laughed, but she is so happy. I won't b here for wedding. It all sinks in.
* Kind lttr fr cousin Simon. I will be met at dock & shown city. Asks if I wld like 2 see The Pigeon. Missed it @ Royalty. World so small!
*Salve Oxford. Salve St. Hilda’s. Piece of my heart left behind. Wld I b this sad were I staying in England? Father wld have known
*Oh, London! Must memorize every corner with my heart! So grateful 2 Maude & the W's 4 having me 2 stay these final weeks.
*Met Maude’s brother Desmond, back from Germany. Very kind & well spoken, as she always said. Beautiful eyes & such shoulders!
* All day signing papers w Mr Martens. Father's box rcvd from safekeeping, too. Have rcvd tkt from his hands. No going back now
*Rainy day looking through box. Father’s watch; their letters & dear faces. Hope Mother’s Limoges arrived safely. All that is left of home
*Tea with Roper. Aglow & all talk about wedding. Wants me 2 come back 4 it. Can’t bear 2 admit I will be 2 skint. Made polite noises.
* Something about voyage makes me want 2 shop. Silliness! They do have stores in NY. Still taking no chances w boots! Bought both pair.
* Jermyn St 4 gift for Cuz Si. Also Mr. & Mrs. W 4 their kindness. Des such a help. Must ask Maude what he likes. Lovely noil scarf 4 her.
* Maude envisions shipboard romance. Doubtful. Remember crossing 2 France? Shall likely b green the entire way.
* Much buoyed. Ran into Em et al. Boston cousin took degree @ Vassar! Said fine things & is giving me lttrs of intro 2 friends nearby.
* Des cinema-crazy. The Sunbeam – charming in a way, but foolish. Sez Mr Griffith a force 2 b reckoned w. Wants 2 come 2 NY to work w him
* Exceptionally fine day. Will not b here for Easter so debuted new blue hat with ribbon bow & aigrette. Everyone says is quite fetching.
* Maude & Des insist on accompanying me 2 Southampton. Am weak enuff 2 accept. Will b that much harder in end, but want 2 hold every minute
* Tea w Jonesy & little Kate. Browsing new books @ WH Smith. Like always. Hard 2 believe am not going back up 4 Trinity, but getting excited
* Restless. Must have walked 5 miles 2day. Said all goodbyes. Already feel as if gone. Am ready now for an adventure!
* How to pack 4 ocean crossing? Only small case in cabin. Trunk will go below. Shld not have shopped quite so much! Mrs W kindly advising
* Beautiful surprise for last nite in town. Simpsons on the Strand. Mr. W says making certain I have good English beef inside to see me off
* Longest train ride. All trying so not to cry. Silly jokes & gossip. Such love for these friends. Foolish 2 hope Des may visit NY for Mr. G?
* Boarding now. Will have no chance to write til arrive NY. My heart leaps at sight of boat. The future - how beautiful! Titanic! Adeline